"All grain is ordained for the use of man,...to be the staff of life....
All grain is good for the food of man;...--
Nevertheless, wheat for man...."

Doctrine and Covenants 89: 14, 16-17 (Known as the Word of Wisdom)

Our Blog Names

While playing around, we happened upon names that mean wheat. We kind of liked them so we adopted them as our blog names. We'll be signing our blogs with our "wheat" names.

Gwenith - Welch (female) is Honeybee
Basak
- Turkish (female) is Grandma
Zea - Latin (female) is Walkers

OUR QUEST

Basak: My quest is to understand and know why the Lord said, "Nevertheless, wheat for man". I want to know how to prepare and use it in the Lord's ways and thus, it will taste good and our families will want to eat it. I want to know why the word "nevertheless" was used, how much we need and why. My quest is to know it all.

Gwenith: Several months ago, the thought came to me. How will we eat in the Millennium? That sounds funny, I know, but what I mean when I say that is, 'What is a higher law of health and nutrition and how can I eat that way using my food storage?' This is what I am working on.

Zea: My quest... to learn and live the word of wisdom so that me and my family will be blessed to live a healthy life. In this process I've ended up having several "sub" quests, such as learning more about grains, herbs, what things in our diet and life are created by "evil and conspiring men", and needless to say one subject leads to another. Right now I'm trying to put the knowledge I've gathered so far (while still gathering more) into practice for me and my family... not an easy task when you have a picky eater!

And as we pursue our quests, we desire to help others.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Enzymes and such

Forays into nutrition:

ENZYMES

While I don’t agree with 100% of the information in their books, I do like much of what the following authors have to say regarding this topic:

  • Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon, New Trends Publishing, 1999.

  • Enzyme Nutrition – The Food Enzyme Concept , Dr. Edward Howell, Avery Publishing, 1985.

Many of the following ideas come from their books.

Enzymes are the catalysts that allow every single chemical reaction in our bodies to occur. Every thing that happens in our body requires an enzyme – digestion, metabolism, repair, growth, moving, even thinking involves some enzyme activity! No mineral, vitamin, or hormone can do any work without enzymes. Enzymes convert the food we eat into chemical structures that can pass through the cell membranes of the digestive system into the bloodstream. They are needed in running the heart, kidneys, liver, and lungs. They aid in converting ‘building blocks’ into new muscle, flesh, bone, nerves and glands. Every organ and tissue has its own particular metabolic enzymes to do specialized work. There are thousands of different enzymes at work in your body.

One type of enzyme, digestive enzymes, have three main jobs: digesting protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Many of the body’s enzymes are manufactured in the pancreas. The pancreas has a limited production capacity. Digesting food has priority over other enzyme needs in the body. If the food you eat contains no enzymes of its own, the pancreas must manufacture digestive enzymes to aid in the breakdown of that food.

Nature’s plan calls for food enzymes to help with digestion instead of forcing the body to produce enzymes to digest food. If enzymes contained in the food we eat do some of the work, the enzyme producing potential of our body can allot less activity to producing digestive enzymes and have much more to give to the myriad metabolic, repair, growth, and healing needs our bodies have. If the human organism must devote a huge portion of its enzyme potential to making digestive enzymes, it spells trouble for the health of the whole body because there is a strain on production of metabolic enzymes. There is competition between the two classes of enzymes.

To get enzymes from food, we must eat raw food. All life, whether plant or animal, requires the presence of enzymes to keep it going. Therefore, all plant and animal food in the raw state has them. Nature has enclosed all raw foods with the correct and balanced amounts of food enzymes either for human consumption or eventual decomposition outside the human body. But heat destroys enzymes. Enzymes are destroyed above 160 degrees F. All foods from a food factory have been heat processed by one means or another. This is what keeps the foods from going bad but also kills the enzymes.

We can see from this short explanation that getting enzymes into our food is very important – that the diet we mainly eat today is not going to give this to us.

I don’t think the answer is to take things too far and become a raw foodist and eat exclusively raw foods. “While we should include a variety of raw foods in our diets, we need to recognize that there are no traditional diets composed exclusively of raw foods…Some nutrients are made more available through cooking and cooking also neutralizes naturally occurring toxins in plant foods.” (Fallon, p. 47)

How can we eat wheat in a ‘raw’ form? We can eat wheat sprouts and wheatgrass juice. Even wheat that is soaked overnight has started the germination process enough to increase enzyme activity.

Let’s take our study of nutrition a little bit farther….

Enzyme Inhibitors

Why don’t seeds break down and rot? All seeds have enzyme inhibitors which keep them from growing until moisture is absorbed by the seed and it begins germinating. Eating seeds, which includes grains, nuts, legumes, etc. also causes the pancreas to have to produce digestive enzymes to break these down. Whereas sprouting or soaking the seed in warm, slightly acidic water will inactivate the enzyme inhibitors and make the enzymes available for the digestion of that food.

Phytic Acid – Friend or Foe?

Phytic acid is considered by some as an anti- nutrient component found in the bran portion of all grains and beans. Phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and block their absorption. It is said that a diet high in unfermented whole grains supposedly can lead to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. It is also suggested that long term consumption of these untreated phytates can be hard on your digestive system and may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and other serious adverse affects. Sally Fallon and Dr. Edward Howell recommend soaking and/or fermenting grains, seeds, nuts, and legumes to help neutralize the phytic acid.

On the flip side, it is also being discovered that phytic acid, among other things is an antioxidant, chelator, has anti-cancer benefits, and actually stimulates the small intestine to produce phytase which increases the body’s ability to absorb minerals.

See the following website for a one person’s take on these issues: http://www.breadbeckers.com/phytic_acid_friend_or_foe.htm

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

So which is it? Is phytic acid good or bad? What about enzyme inhibitors? We haven’t even discussed oxalic acid! I can’t answer these questions but Grandma and I have been thinking that if we eat grains in a VARIETYof ways, sometimes in raw form, sometimes cooked, sometimes soaked or fermented, then we are being ‘moderate in all things’ and getting the benefits of all forms and probably avoiding the possible ill-effects we read about.


............................................

Proverbs 19:21 - "There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand."

Gwenith

No comments:

A LITTLE ABOUT US

I'm Basak (Grandma). I'm married to a wonderful husband who spoils me and puts up with all my kitchen lab work and in my working to serve others. We have four wonderful children and they have blessed us with sixteen grandchildren. I always seem to be learning something new and I love it.

I met Gwenith a few years ago and she's become a very dear friend. We found we were kindred sisters in the preparedness world. We now live miles apart and yet, the kindred has never dwindled. When we talk, we find we always seem to be going down the same road in the thought process - a miracle in itself.


I'm Gwenith (Honeybee). I have a wonderful husband and two boys who are my jewels. I have known since serving a proselyting/welfare mission years ago that the Lord wanted me to be involved in the 'Provident Living' side of things.

The last several years have been an amazing learning adventure and I thank the Lord for allowing me to be an instrument in His hands in any way. Thank goodness I have a friend to share this adventure with -- Basak. Though Basak seems my peer, not my elder, I lean heavily on her wisdom, experience and most of all her strong spirituality. She is an example to me. My efforts to becoming closer to the Lord have benefited from watching her. Thank you, friend!